The Case of Andrew Krivak (and Anthony DiPippo)

In 1997, Andrew Krivak and his co-defendant Anthony DiPippo were convicted of the rape and murder of a 12-year old girl, who disappeared from her home in Carmel, NY on October 4, 1994. No physical evidence connected Krivak or DiPippo to the victim or the crime scene. The key witness against Krivak and DiPippo was a 17 year old girl, Denise Rose, recently arrested for reckless driving and DUI, who had previously dated DiPippo. Initially, she denied knowning anything about the crime, but over three weeks of questioning by Putnam County Sheriff's Department detectives, she came to claim to have witnessed the crime, and that it had been committed by both Krivak and DiPippo. The department then spent two months trying to pressure friends and acquaintances to of Krivak and DiPippo to corroborate Rose’s claims without success.

On July 1, 1996, nearly two years after the murder, detectives interviewed Krivak, then 18 years old, and after seven hours of interrogation, extracted a false confession from Krivak that closely matched Roses's claims. One of the team participating in the interrogation was Daniel Stephens, a polygraph operator who had previously used a fake polygraphy examination to extract a false murder confession from the 16 year old Jeffrey Deskovic. Thirteen years later, DNA evidence proved Deskovic was actually innocent of the crime to which he falsely confessed, he was fully exonerated, and a federal jury found that Stephens had conspired to deprive him of his civil rights and to fabricate evidence.

The interrogators witheld a critical fact. Investigators from the Carmel Police Department had identified another man, Howard Gombert, as the likely perpetrator of the crime, and suspected him in the murder of a second young girl that disappeared around the same time. 

Krivak was tried seperately from DiPippo, convicted, and sentenced to 25 years to life on June 11, 1997. DiPippo was tried immediately afterwards, convicted, and sentenced to 25 years to life on July 11, 1997. On appeal, Krivak’s conviction was affirmed, but DiPippo’s conviction was reversed, due to a conflict of interest – the same attorney that represented DiPippo at his trial had also represented Howard Gombert, the man suspected of the murder by the Carmel police. DiPippo was then tried again and convicted. His second conviction was also reversed, this time because evidence had been kept from the jury that Gombert, now serving a prison sentence Connecticut for abusing a 9 year old girl, had also confessed to the murder of the girl DiPippo and Krivak were accused of murdering. On October 11, 2016, after a third trial, DiPippo was finally acquitted of all charges.

Krivak remains imprisoned to this date, for the crime that he and DiPippo allegedly committed together. The same evidence that exonerated DiPippo, as well as new DNA evidence that found no trace of Krivak or DiPippo’s DNA at the crime scene should exonerate Krivak, but we still wait for justice to be done.



Depippo Found Not Guilty After Third Trial, Andrew Krivak Files Appeal by Holly Toal, October 19, 2016, Putnam County Times

NOT GUILTY Verdict for Anthony DiPippo, Friday, December 16th, 2016, Putnam County Times

Defense for Krivak Fights For New Trial Stemming from 1994 Crime by David Propper, October 18, 2016, The Examiner News



Jeff discusses Putnam County "not wanting to admit error" re Krivak and DiPippo, CBS